Monday, June 23, 2008

Refreshing Story - Selena Gomez

Young Disney star vows abstinence till marriage
HOLLYWOOD - Selena Gomez, the 15-year-old up-and-coming Hollywood star who is being hailed as "the next Miley Cyrus" - the wildly popular star of the Disney Channel show Hannah Montana - has made public her intention to remain chaste until marriage.

Gomez started in the entertainment industry at the young age of 10, landing the part of Gianna on Barney & Friends. Amongst numerous other achievements, Gomez recently provided the voice-overs for the character of the mayor's daughter in the blockbuster animated film, Horton Hears a Who, starring Jim Carrey and Steve Carell. Gomez also recently debuted her own feature Disney Channel show, The Wizards of Waverley Place, in which she plays the lead role.

It seems, however, that Gomez may not appreciate the frequent comparisons being made between her and fellow Disney star Miley Cyrus, who has made the news several times in the last number of months after suggestive photos of her appeared in Vanity Fair magazine and a number of other racy photos surfaced on the Internet.

Gomez recently told Extra about her plans to live chastely until marriage. "I said, 'Dad, I want a promise ring,'" Gomez told Extra. "He went to the church and got it blessed. He actually used me as an example for other kids."

"I'm going to keep my promise, for myself, for my family, and for God," she said.

In a previous interview with Extra, Gomez was asked by the interviewer if her mother had allowed her to start dating. Gomez confirmed that she was allowed to go on dates, and had gone on a few, though she said she is subject to a curfew. When asked if she had a steady boyfriend Gomez laughed and shook her head: "I'm fifteen. I don't need a boyfriend."

In donning the purity ring, Gomez joins an increasing number of youth-stars who are reacting against the pervasive promiscuity of the entertainment industry and embracing pre-marital chastity. Others who have made public their intentions to remain chaste until marriage include Jordin Sparks, the American Idol winner, and the members of the pop group, the Jonas Brothers.

However, in an interview on the issue with momlogic.com, Gomez denied that she was simply jumping on the bandwagon. "I've had my ring ever since I was 12 years old," she said. "But for me it's not something I want to go around saying 'Hey, look what I have.' It's a promise that I made to myself and to God. I think sometimes people misinterpret that and think it's just a trend and everyone's getting one."

Young Disney star vows abstinence till marriage

No comments: